Guest blog by 80Noir Ultra Founder Carole Armitage
1. Full of antioxidants! Just like cranberries, red wine and tea, the cocoa bean contains flavanols, a plant compound with potent antioxidant properties.
2. A Boost of Serotonin and Dopamine. Having a serving of dark chocolate a day is proven to boost your happy hormones, this can be great for your mental health and helps regulate your stress and anxiety levels throughout the day.
3. Cancer fighting. Studies show that foods high in flavonoids, like dark chocolate, can help fight several forms of cancer.
4. Blood flow. Dark chocolate increases your bodies production of nitric oxide, this increases blood flow. Increased blood flow aids repair after a workout, decreases muscle soreness and aids nutrient delivery throughout your body.
5. Reduces stress. As well as boosting your happy hormones, a daily dose of dark chocolate is shown to reduce cortisol levels. Cortisol is your ‘fight or flight’ hormone.
6. Heart health. There are many reasons dark chocolate is great for your heart, but one of the greatest is that it prevents your blood platelets from clotting, reducing risk of stroke. It also reduces cholesterol!
7. Brain function. Dark chocolate is shown to improve brain cognition and memory. If consumed regularly as part of a balanced diet, it’s believed to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Amazing!
8. Great for your skin! Studies show that the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, healthy fats and flavanols in dark chocolate all have a positive impact on your skin, helping it stay soft and hydrated. Some scientists also suggest that it can help prevent and repair your skin from UV damage.
Order your next chocolate experience here
Listen to Dan talk with 80Noir founder Carole all about her chocolate and how to use it to fuel your runs here